Who wants to chat about the saga? (spoiler alert!)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Who wants to chat about the saga? (spoiler alert!)

Post by janelle on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 pm

So I just finished up to chapter 7..after the cleaning people left. I LOVED the wedding scene. I just about started crying myself. But, ok i sound like the biggest perve, but didn't meyer do a better job at describing the love scenes in the last three? I was hoping for a little more Embarassed KWIM? A little more PG13 maybe?? I didn;t like that Jacob was back. I was really hoping they had left him out of this one. And could Bella be pregnant?? what...eating all the time, tired...they just had sex...impossible, but WTH?? All those dreams about the little boy. And her delaying becoming a vampire? Edward bite her already darn it!! OK, don't tell me anything..i'll find out during my marathon nap reads tommorrow!
It has been great...so far! I am praying for a good ending!! I had to force myself to put it down so I could come to bed. Trey did question my ability to control myself with this book, but he laughed it off just as I thought he would. He thinks I'm incredibly silly.

Now you haveto stop reading and let me catch up. You still have a 1.5 weeks left in your wait Wink
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2925
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:51 am

I loved the wedding scene & the honeymoon! You're right about the love scene though. I felt like I got short-changed. All that anticipation, spanning over 3 books, and that's all we got??? Granted, I think she was seriously holding back because of her audience. Stupid teenagers - doesn't she know that mom's across the country wanted some real juicy details????

I loved the part where Bella finally decides to go out to the water with Edward & he was standing in the water with his back to her. And, like the perfect man he is, he didn't turn around to make it anymore uncomfortable for Bella than she already was. *swoon*.

I tried to slow down a bit. I only read a few chapters last night. I'm on page 606, so I have 150 pages to stretch out over 1.5 weeks. he he... I think you'll catch up to me soon though - Let's hope for some long naps from Claire over the next few days!!

Oh, and Theron is calling himself a "Book Widow" because he never sees me anymore. He asked last night how much longer until he got his wife back. LOL.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2399

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:05 am

Theron is too funny!! Trey feels the same way I think!

OK, just need to vent..not liking the way this is going so far. I'm to the point where jacob sees Bella for the first time. Sad
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 am

Yeah, the Jacob section is my least favorite part of the book. I understand that it is necessary, but I still don't like to hear the story from his perspective. Also, things happen in this section that doesn't make since until you get to the third section of the book.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:24 am

well, I finished the book. I didn't mean to, but couldn't stop. I have mixed emotions about it. I liked it, but not as much as the first three books. It wasn't necessarily the content that I didn't like, more the way she wrote and the lack of passion towards the end of the book for Edward and Bella. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed reading, all the way to the end. The ending was really cool too. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say more until you've finished.

Where are you at?
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:36 am

OK, i'm done...this one tool me a lot longer (mainly b/c Claire has been sick and teething and not sleeping well this week). I have kind of a mixed reaction to it. It was a good book but so much different than the other three. Almost like it was its own book in itself...KWIM?? It also changed the way I looked at Bella and Edward. She really made them both evolve so much that I was picturing them both so much older in the last book than the previous 3 even though I know they didn't "age". I kind of have mixed feelings toward them having a baby too.

I really wish she had left out the whole Jacob part and added more passion between Bella and Edward. It just didn't have the same feel.
I don;t want to say I'm dissapointed because it was a good book...just different.

What do you think?
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Janelle, it sounds like you and I have similiar feelings about the 4th book. I didn't like the book about Jacob at all. I know she had to tell that part of the story from his perspective, but I wasn't interested in hearing it, kwim?

The parts I enjoyed the most:
* the wedding/honeymoon was awesome. Loved every bit of it.
* I also really liked the way she described Bella changing & the chapter about her hunting. She was able to really make me feel like I was right there; the way she elaborated on her strong senses, etc.
* the very end of the book where she let Edward into her head to show him all her memories of him. that was cool.

I felt like the author was "weaning" the reader off of the "Edward and Bella addiction". Their passion (& my addiction to it) was really strong in the beginning of the book, but it progessively got weaker as the story unfolded. By the end of the book, I felt like she had told all there was to tell & the story was complete. Not to say I'm not disappointed, because I really missed feeling that emotion in this last book - it just wasn't the same as it was in the first three.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:42 pm

This is an interesting article about Stephenie's response to all the negative buzz surrounding BD. Oh, and evidently, on Tuesday, at this same website, she's going to do a Q&A about BD.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1592457/story.jhtml
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:28 pm

That was an interesting article. I see what she means by it being the way it needed to be. I actually liked the happy ending. I think it ended just the way it needed to. I was just really disappointed in the "bonds" she didn't seem to make. It was almost as if she was so caught up in the story itself she missed some of the details in the relationship areas. Or maybe she felt she described those enough in the first three books. I mean Bella and Edward never has sex in the first three books but the passion was so much stronger. I just wish she would have carried that through.

I loved her description of Bella's change too. Her writing just seems to come alive when she tells the story through Bella's eyes. Maybe it was the Jacob book that threw me b/c it just wasn't the same writing style to me. I also loved how she described Reneesme through Bella's eyes. I could really picture an incredibly beautiful child.

Oh and the last 3 pages were probably the best pages of the entire book besides the wedding and honeymoon. I wish she would have elaborated on their life post all the drama. I would have loved to read more about how life was for them now as a family free from any immediate danger. It was just starting to get good again!

She did throw in a good twist though with Alice coming back. I did not see that one coming. The confrontation scene was well written I thought. I was very eager to keep reading to see what happened.

So what book are you on now? I'm dying to pick up another good romance! Any suggestions? I was thinking Sundays at TIffanys??
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:08 pm

I just read Sunday at Tiffany's & can send it to you if you want to borrow it. It was so so. Not bad, but not great either. Right now, I just started reading "The Fountainhead" and next on the list is "Wuthering Heights". Stephenie Meyer was so passionate about Wuthering Heights in Eclipse & made several references throughout the book, so I'm really eager to see what all the commotion is about. I mean, I know it is one of the classics, but somehow, I never read it.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Some fun Q&A from the author about Breaking Dawn...

Question: Bella feels hesitant about marrying Edward. Is that how you felt when you were proposed to? KhmaixLinda

Stephenie Meyer: Actually, I was engaged more than once. I had my runaway-bride moment. Maybe there was some of that, although it's really different, because it wasn't the right person [for me] to marry. With Bella, there's no question in her mind that she's going to end up with Edward. It's all about people's perceptions, which is a really silly thing for her to worry about. ... I knew she was going to be with Edward. I wrote this story before I wrote "New Moon" and "Eclipse," and that relationship [with Jacob] actually went a lot farther than I thought it would.

Question: How was Bella's pregnancy possible? Deep

Meyer: One of the longest things about this last year is that I've been reading all these quotes that people have been attributing to me that I never said. I had a rough draft of [this story] by the beginning of 2004, so before I ever did a tour or answered any questions or did an interview, I knew where the story was going. ... When people said, "Hey, can vampires have babies?" I always said no, because female vampires don't change at all, and it takes a lot of change for your body to accommodate a fetus, so it's not possible. But I never said anything about the part that I knew was coming. ... It is true ... there's a whole chromosomal-count difference, but venom works a lot of different ways, so for me, it always worked just fine.

Question: Why did you decide to switch to Jacob's point of view during Bella's pregnancy and delivery, instead of Bella telling us herself? Sam

Meyer: In the first rough draft, it was Bella throughout the entire story. There's this section of the story where Bella's pretty much stuck on a couch and is not part of anything that's going on, and she's just hearing about it from the outside, and it's boring! ... So when I went back to do this, I realized that where the action was, was something we can only get through the first-person perspective of Jacob. And once I made that decision, I was really glad I had, because that was the most fun section to write out of the whole story.

Question: Why did you portray pregnancy in the light you did? Was there a meaning behind that, or did you do it for storytelling's sake? Chrissy

Meyer: A story has to have an element of danger and hazard. If there isn't a risk, if there isn't something that goes wrong, there's no story. But no, the pregnancy wasn't a punishment. When you're writing characters, one of the things you do to make it interesting is you push them past their limits, and that's when the story gets exciting. Sadly, it's kind of fun to torture your characters.

Question: Why was Bella so controlled as a newborn? Natasha

Meyer: Bella's really the only vampire who went into it knowing what to expect, being mentally prepared and on guard for her reactions. And she's a naturally stubborn person, which helps when you make up your mind to do something.

Question: You said once you read "Breaking Dawn," you'll understand the cover of the book. So does it represent Bella and Nessie? Chrissy

Meyer: No, it represents Bella and Bella. ... Bella starts out as the weakest player on the board, and she ends up as the one who decides the outcome of the story. She becomes the most powerful player, and I really liked that metaphor. I liked seeing her evolution in one picture.

Question: Why did you decide not to have a battle scene? The Cullens seemed like they had a good chance of winning, didn't they? Butane

Meyer: They had a good chance of holding their own, not winning. There wouldn't have been a lot of people walking away from that. And because I'm kind of a happy-ending girl, I didn't want the "Hamlet" ending, where everyone's dead on the floor, and one person's standing there giving their monologue about what they've learned. I wanted it to be something that could be won, so I set it up to be a mental game.

Question: Are you thinking of writing a novel in Renesmee's perspective when she's older? froggyoggy

Meyer: If I were to go ahead with the Cullen universe and honestly, I'll do it for myself, whether I publish it or not is questionable at this point but the narrators that I would go ahead with ... would be Renesmee and Leah. Leah's the other one whose story doesn't seem resolved to me at this point.

Question: Would you please, please, please tell me who Embry's father is? kateurie

Meyer: The problem with that question is and this sounds like something crazy people would say but I don't know. My characters don't always tell me everything.

Question: If Nessie's not able to have children on her own ...

Meyer: [Interrupts the question.] Here we're going off way into the future. For all intents and purposes, "Breaking Dawn" is the last book. It might easily happen that I quit here. There'd be a lot of good reasons for doing that, so I don't know if we need to get into all the future possibilities and speculations, 'cause I'll just go crazy, and I'm so close already!

Question: Will "Midnight Sun" be all four "Twilight" books told in one? Or will it be the first of several Edward books? Ashley

Meyer: Option three it will be a standalone retelling of "Twilight." And I've gotten the comments: "Please, please, please, please, please, do all the books." In reality, "New Moon" would be horrible from Edward's perspective. And I really feel like after people have "Midnight Sun," with a very little amount of effort, they'll be able to understand him for all of the books.

Question: Why were the last two pages of "Breaking Dawn" your favorite Edward/Bella moment? edwardsheroine

Meyer: This is the moment, after all of these years, that Edward really gets to understand how Bella feels about him, and they're finally, truly seeing eye-to-eye for just that moment. For me, it was like four books of buildup for this moment, and it was great.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for posting this Michelle!! I agree, the last few pages of BD were the best of all 4 books!! I can't wait for Midnight Sun. Any word to when it will be published? I still can't shake my Twilight saga fix. I am reading Dear John by Sparks right now and it just doesn't compare. Have you read "The Host"? I'm thinking of picking that one up next...
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:01 am

Janelle, I'm right there with you. I'm still fixated on them too. No one make fun of me, but it's like I miss them. Crazy, I know.

I haven't read The Host, but a friend of mine did and said she likes it. She said it took her a while to get into it though. Its definitely on my list to read soon too.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danielle on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:02 pm

i just finsihed twilight and OMG. this book is amazing, the characters are amazing, the story is amazing. i LOVE edward he reminds me of a high school bf and the whole hospital scene pulled at my heart because that is how i would be with jayson. begging him not to leave.

i know y'all are finished with the books but she is teasing me so much with weather or not bella converts. the suspense is killing me. edward is my favorite character and i like bella because she is clumsy and a little slow with the up take like me, lol. going to go start new moon. so excited!!! thanks so much michelle for recommending this. and to the mommies who haven't read this yet, go buy the books!!!
danielle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 1545

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Yay Danielle! I'm so glad you liked it! I'm still gushing over them. I glaze over sometimes & think maybe i need to read them again. My addiction is still not over yet.

BTW - New Moon is a gut wrencher. That's all I'm gonna say.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danielle on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 pm

ugh please tell me that edward comes back in new moon. i am hating that he isn't in this book. i am in ch 10 and have the feeling that something about jacob is about to be revealed. he was sick for that week and bella just found her and edward's meadow. i miss edward. jacob is nice enough but he doesn't have the mystery and sex appeal of edward.
danielle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danielle on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:55 pm

okay i just finished new moon and agree with the two of you, not impressed. she totally ruined the story. i loved the first chapter, even though jasper went after bella, but the rest of the book, well until alice and edward returned, was boring. i appreciate what jacob did for bella but he is so immature and whiney. this book didn't satisfy my craving for bella and edward's relationship. i hope eclipse and breaking dawn deliver my fix, lol.

i have to wait until tuesday though to buy the next two books, thats when i get paid. but i do want to say one great thing about both books, i love charlie!!! he is an awesome dad. so i guess the three of us are team edward.
danielle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2