Don't read this unless you've finished the book!

Go down

Don't read this unless you've finished the book!

Post by Melissa on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Holy cow! I loved it! I was BAWLING through the whole time she was in the hospital, and I just about lost it completely when I thought he was going to decide to take her off life support- I was sure he was going to decide that... That just evoked so many emotions!
I'm so pleased with how the book got better and better as you read- it was good in Part 1, but not amazing- but holy cow, once you got into Part 2 it was amazing!

What did you think??
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 3362
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile http://www.laughthroughitall.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Don't read this unless you've finished the book!

Post by Amanda on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:06 pm

I love it too! I was also bawling. Couldn't help it, but his books always end like that, so I knew it was coming. I'm so glad that Gabby came back to life and they got some sense of normalcy back. It really makes you think about how any day could be the last and not to get to angry with each other over small things!

Love your new siggy by the way!
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2905

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Yes, it totally made you appreciate the every day and not expect there to always be a tomorrow. I just was so emotional over the idea of him raising his daughters without her- like when he tried to do Christmas just like she would have... that really put me over the edge.
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristin-OK on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe how this book turned out! I was also crying and ended up staying up until midnight to finish last night! I agree that it really makes you appreciate every day. As I was going to sleep I just couldn't stop thinking about how lucky I am to have Randy and Jack and how much I love them. I can't imagine losing someone so close. I am so glad that she woke up, I almost thought the book would end with him cutting off the life support!
Kristin-OK
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 1486

View user profile http://randyandkristin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Have you all read Suzzanne's Diary for Nicolas? Kinda reminds me of that. Such a tear jerker.
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Yes, Kristin... I was so sure he was going to cut off her life support in honor of her wishes... I couldn't imagine him raising those little girls all on his own- that's the part that really got me! It made me think about if Gabe could raise our kids alone- and that was so scary to think about (not that he couldn't do it... but just how sad and traumatic it would be!) Really hit home.
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:10 pm

yes, how sad for the children not to have thier mom!
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Fri May 02, 2008 11:04 am

Okay, just finished the book last night and WOW - very powerful. I cried my eyes out. It was just so heart wrenching to think about all the pain he must have gone through. I don't think I could have pulled the plug in that situation either. You just never know what God has in store & maybe they just needed a little more time to 'wake up, kwim?? And when he was talking about not really knowing the girls' schedules & likes/dislikes, etc. it really got me thinking (like you Mel) about Theron and how he would be with Kate. How hard it would be for them to create that new bond and how heart breaking it would be for Kate to grow up without a mother. Whew, that's heavy!

Ugh, and on a personal note - Theron asked me why I was crying last night & I was telling him the story without even THINKING. I'm so dumb. I should have just been vauge. After I told him the premise of the book, he got really quiet. You know, Theron made the decision to pull the plug on his dad last March, but his dad was on full life support. If you remember, his dad had that horrible accident where he fell off the ladder & they did brain surgery to try to help him, but to no avail. Anyways, he was lifeless & his body was really struggling just to maintain temp. He couldn't breath on his own & his heart rate was very sporatic. A few days after the surgery, he started to go downhill & the doctor said there was no hope so they pulled him off life support. I know the book is a MUCH different situation & Theron's dad really would have never come out of his coma, but I could tell that it brought Theron back to that place & I feel HORRIBLE for doing it. So depressing.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2399

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Fri May 02, 2008 11:25 am

Oh, Michelle, that is terrible of how it paralleled his previous decision... I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for him and still is. I hope you don't feel bad about talking to him about it, I'm sure he realizes that you weren't intending to pull up the old feelings. I hadn't remembered that happening w/ his dad.

It was a very powerful book with a very strong story...
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Fri May 02, 2008 11:49 am

Oh, Michelle-So sorry. Poor THeron
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Fri May 09, 2008 9:58 am

Well, I FINALLY finished the book last night. I've been so busy that I've only had a chance to read it right before bed (after midnight) I stayed up till 1:30am last night to finish it-very good!!! I love his books and it really does make you think and feel bad about makin such a big deal out of the little things.

I was actually thinking about it this morning too as I was cutting Alaina's fingernails, that Brian's never done this and would have to learn SO many things.

Michelle-poor Theron-what a huge thing he had to do...hope he has peace in the situation and knows he did he right thing. Glad you're there for him to lean on.
Sarah
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 1911

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/watsonbrisar

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 am

So glad you finished it, Sarah, and that you enjoyed it so much. This was a great pick!
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down