BookClub list.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BookClub list.

Post by Amanda on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:32 am

I think everyone that is interested in joining us should post a book that they would like to read. Then everyone would have something to look forward to. I think after everyone post thier choice on this thread I will comple a list and we can vote each month on what to read or we can vote once and I will put them in order according to the most votes.
Example the one with the most votes will be the first month, the second amount the next month and so on.

I think I'm going to PM Katie and ask to have a bookclub forum so that we can have different heading and keep the board cleaner that way.

So everyone post what book you would like and we will get started. I'll post a poll over the weekend if I can or on Monday. That way eveyone gets a chance and we can start our new book in early April!!!

Yeah I'm excited.
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2905
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BookClub list.

Post by Amanda on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:35 am

So far we have

1. 19 minutes by Jodi Picult
Best known for tackling controversial issues through richly told fictional accounts, Jodi Picoult's 14th novel, Nineteen Minutes, deals with the truth and consequences of a smalltown high-school shooting. Set in Sterling, New Hampshire, Picoult offers reads a glimpse of what would cause a 17-year-old to wake up one day, load his backpack with four guns, and kill nine students and one teacher in the span of nineteen minutes. As with any Picoult novel, the answers are never black and white, and it is her exceptional ability to blur the lines between right and wrong that make this author such a captivating storyteller.
On Peter Houghton's first day of kindergarten, he watched helplessly as an older boy ripped his lunch box out of his hands and threw it out the window. From that day on, his life was a series of humiliations, from having his pants pulled down in the cafeteria, to being called a freak at every turn. But can endless bullying justify murder? As Picoult attempts to answer this question, she shows us all sides of the equation, from the ruthless jock who loses his ability to speak after being shot in the head, to the mother who both blames and pities herself for producing what most would call a monster. Surrounding Peter's story is that of Josie Cornier, a former friend whose acceptance into the popular crowd hangs on a string that makes it impossible for her to reconcile her beliefs with her actions.
At times, Nineteen Minutes can seem tediously stereotypical-- jocks versus nerds, parent versus child, teacher versus student. Part of Picoult's gift is showing us the subtleties of these common dynamics, and the startling effects they often have on the moral landscape. As Peter's mother says at the end of this spellbinding novel, "Everyone would remember Peter for nineteen minutes of his life, but what about the other nine million?" --Gisele Toueg --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

2. The Choice by Nicolas Sparks
#1 New York Times bestseller Nicholas Sparks turns his unrivaled talents to a new tale about love found and lost, and the choices we hope we'll never have to make.Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life - boating, swimming , and regular barbecues with his good-natured buddies -- he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage and family, THE CHOICE ultimately confronts us with the most heartwrenching question of all: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?

And some people wanted soon to be movie books, which sounds fine to me. Just suggest one!
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Um, I don't have a suggestion, I'd just like to vote on the choices that are presented. These both sound good!
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 3362

View user profile http://www.laughthroughitall.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristin-OK on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm

I have already read Nineteen Minutes, but I have to say it is REALLY good! I'll throw out another Jodi Picoult book since I bought it awhile ago and haven't started it. Embarassed

Salem Falls
Kristin-OK
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 1486

View user profile http://randyandkristin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:00 pm

I vote fo The Choice on b/c I love Sparks and all his books are based from right where I live Very Happy
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2925

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:06 pm

Janelle-Have you read "Dear John"? I'm reading it right now and it's based around Wilmington. He makes the area sound so beautiful! I really want to go there now. I'm pretty sure we will venture that way some day. My husband really wants to see a Duke game and I'm thinking maybe an anniversary trip.
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:14 pm

How fun!! Trey is from Wilmington and we live only 1.5 hours up the coast from there. It is so pretty here. You should definietly come! And stay with us Smile
janelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2925

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Here's a discripition of Kristin Ok's pick

Salam Falls
When Jack St. Bride arrives in the small town of Salem Falls, all he wants is to escape his past. He's spent the last eight months in jail, after being falsely accused of having an affair with an underage student at the school where he taught. In Salem Falls, he gets a job as a dishwasher at a local diner and tentatively begins a romance with the diner's owner, Addie, who is still mourning the death of her young daughter, born after Addie was raped in high school by three drunk boys. As she and Jack fall in love, they both see hope for the future. But their newfound love is threatened when the residents of Salem Falls learn of Jack's conviction and begin harassing him. When, predictably, a teenage girl accuses Jack of raping her, he finds himself back in jail, fighting a serious charge and the town's prejudice. Addie wrestles with her doubts and memories of her own rape, but she believes in Jack and goes on a quest of her own to find out the truth about Jack's initial conviction, even as the Salem Falls trial opens. Unfortunately, the novel spirals down into cliche, toward an all-too-predictable ending. There are some interesting elements here (such as Addie's inability to accept the death of her daughter), but the novel doesn't rise above its formulaic plot. Still, Picoult's previous novels, including Keeping Faith (1999) and The Pact (1998), have garnered a large audience, especially in book-discussion groups. Expect her latest to generate some demand, but buy cautiously. Kristine Huntley
Copyright American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

This one sounds good too.

Plain Truth
YA-Philadelphia defense lawyer Ellie Hathaway retreats to her great Aunt Leda's home in Paradise, PA, to get a break from her high-pressure job. Almost at the same time that she arrives, a dead baby is discovered in the barn of an Amish farmer. A police investigation reveals that the mother is an 18-year-old unmarried Amish girl, Katie Fisher, and that the infant apparently did not die of natural causes. Even in the face of medical proof that she recently gave birth, Katie denies the murder charge. Ellie reluctantly agrees to defend her, even though she does not want to be defended. To better understand her client, Ellie moves into the farmhouse with the Fisher family where she begins to see firsthand the pressures and sacrifices of those who live "plain." As she searches for evidence in this case, she calls upon a friend from her past, Dr. John Cooper, a psychiatrist. As Coop and Ellie work together to unravel fact and fiction, they also work to resolve issues in their relationship. Readers will experience a psychological drama as well as a suspenseful courtroom trial. The contrast between the Amish culture and the "English" provides an interesting tension. This study of opposites details much information about a way of life based on faith, humility, duty, and hon-esty.
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Okay.....I think everyone is pretty close to being finished. I'm not trying to rush anyone. I think we should take out time, but since we are getting close do we want to start trying to pick a new book? Do we want to go off this list I know there are some posts about other books on the other topic, so add anything that's wanted. Also, I think we should wait for everyone to have thier book before we start this time. Just to have everyone included. What do you all think? Again....I'm not trying to rush anything at all.
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I think it's a good idea to go ahead and chose our next book so that everyone will have a chance to order it. I agree that we should wait and all start together. And maybe have like a chapter thread, so we can discuss the book while we are reading. Like anything up to Ch. 5, 10, etc. That way we don't spoil anything for anyone else. IDK - just talkling, er typing out loud here.
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2399

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Michelle & Amanda- those are great ideas! (Pick one now, wait for everyone to get it, then read slowly!!) Maybe we could also find some discussion generating ideas elsewhere to help facilitate our discussion of the books?
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:27 pm

ooh - like the way you think Mel! I'm in!
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 pm

My vote is for Momzillas just because it is sitting on my counter now Very Happy
Natalie
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2817
Registration date : 2008-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu May 01, 2008 2:45 pm

okay.....Momzilla's is the only suggestion we have unless you want me to put the other books on this list on the poll too. Let me know!

Mel-I can look and see if there's anyway to get some discussion stimulaters online. Like questions we could answer or something. I'm swamped at work today though, so if anyone else wants to kill some time go ahead!
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu May 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Momzillas

Synopsis

The mothers on Manhattan's chic Upper East Side are highly educated, extremely wealthy, and very competitive. They throw themselves and all of their energy and resources into full-time child rearing, turning their kids into the unwitting pawns in a game where success is measured in precocious achievements, jam-packed schedules, and elite private-school pedigrees.

Hannah Allen has recently moved to the neighborhood with her New York City-bred investment banker husband and their two-year-old daughter, Violet. She's immediately inundated by an outpouring of advice from her not-so-well-intentioned new friends and her overbearing, socially conscious mother-in-law, who coach her on matters ranging from where to buy the must-have $300 baby dress to how to get into the only pre-pre-preschool that counts. Despite her better instincts and common sense, Hannah soon finds herself caught up in the competitive whirl of high-stakes mothering.

Publishers Weekly

Kargman is no worse off without writing partner Carrie Karasyov (The Right Address; Wolves in Chic Clothing) in her first solo novel, a breezy jaunt through the Manhattan nursery grinder. Recently relocated to the Upper East Side from San Francisco after her husband, Josh, took a lucrative job, Hannah Allen is thrown into the mommy snake pit by her domineering mother-in-law, Lila Allen Dillingham, who introduces Hannah to a cabal of neighborhood moms led by the "drop dead gorgissima" Bee Elliott. Hannah, a black-jeans-and-Converse art history grad and mother of too-cute two-year-old Violet, struggles to please Lila and keep up with Bee's hypercompetitive crew of "Kelly-bag-toting, Chanel-suit-wearing, Bugaboo-pushing sharks" who fret over their children's head circumferences and admissions into pre-preschools with three-year waiting lists. There's no shortage of name-dropping and light humor as Hannah struggles to win a co-op board's approval, keep her marriage afloat and get Violet into Carnegie Nursery School. Though a bevy of "awky" abbreviations litter the narrative ("unfortch" "sitch," "actsch"), Kargman writes with verve. Fans of the genre won't be disappointed. (Apr.)Copyright 2006 Reed Business Information.
More Reviews and Recommendations
Biography

Jill Kargman, who grew up on the Upper East Side and now lives there with her husband and two daughters, is the ideal chronicler of the lives of New York's ultra-rich and ultra-ambitious. She captures the mores, the conversations, and the backstabbing with supreme ease, and creates in Hannah a wonderfully sympathetic heroine. A wickedly funny and spot-on portrait of some decidedly over-the-top moms, Momzillas is the perfect follow-up to The Right Address.
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu May 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Here's my pick-Although I think Momzilla's sounds great!

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson

Synopsis

As a little girl, Jane has no one. Her mother Vivienne Margaux, the powerful head of a major New York theater company has no time for her. But she does have one friend--Michael--and no one can see him but her. But Michael can't stay with Jane forever, and on her eighth birthday, her imaginary friend must leave her.

When Jane is in her thirties, working for her mother's company, she is just as alone as she was as a child. Her boyfriend hardly knows she's there and is more interested in what Vivienne can do for his career. Her mother practically treats her as a slave in the office, despite the great success of Jane's first play, "Thank Heaven." Then she finds Michael--handsome, and just the same as she remembers him, only now he's not imaginary. For once in her life, Jane is happy--and has someone who loves her back. But not
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karalee on Thu May 01, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm might just have to join if you read the book by James Patterson! I love his books like "A Diary For Nicholas"!!!!!
karalee
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2146

View user profile http://www.babygmh.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Thu May 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Yes I love Suzannes Diary for nicolas
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Thu May 01, 2008 9:18 pm

Momzilla's sounds fun!! That's totally my kind of book. I'll also put in a bid for "Eat, Love, Pray" since I have that one sitting on my counter waiting to be read Smile

Starred Review. Gilbert (The Last American Man) grafts the structure of romantic fiction upon the inquiries of reporting in this sprawling yet methodical travelogue of soul-searching and self-discovery. Plagued with despair after a nasty divorce, the author, in her early 30s, divides a year equally among three dissimilar countries, exploring her competing urges for earthly delights and divine transcendence. First, pleasure: savoring Italy's buffet of delights--the world's best pizza, free-flowing wine and dashing conversation partners--Gilbert consumes la dolce vita as spiritual succor. "I came to Italy pinched and thin," she writes, but soon fills out in waist and soul. Then, prayer and ascetic rigor: seeking communion with the divine at a sacred ashram in India, Gilbert emulates the ways of yogis in grueling hours of meditation, struggling to still her churning mind. Finally, a balancing act in Bali, where Gilbert tries for equipoise "betwixt and between" realms, studies with a merry medicine man and plunges into a charged love affair. Sustaining a chatty, conspiratorial tone, Gilbert fully engages readers in the year's cultural and emotional tapestry--conveying rapture with infectious brio, recalling anguish with touching candor--as she details her exotic tableau with history, anecdote and impression.
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie on Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 am

I don't know how this would work but one suggestion could be to do 2 parallel reviews and then we swap books so that we only have to buy half as many books... I don't know if we have enough moms doing this for it to work out though. Just an idea to throw out there as I know some are more $$ constrained than others right now...
Natalie
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Number of posts : 2817
Registration date : 2008-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Fri May 02, 2008 10:36 am

good thought Natalie. I'm not sure how many people we have in our "club". Maybe we need a roll call?

I'm throwing my vote in for the Momzilla book - that sounds so much fun!!
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehua-Jess on Fri May 02, 2008 10:53 am

I still never got the first book Mad
Lehua-Jess
Undercover Agent
Undercover Agent

Number of posts : 624

View user profile Http://www.myspace.com/texasislandgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa on Fri May 02, 2008 11:09 am

Great idea, natalie!!! Wink
Melissa
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Fri May 02, 2008 11:51 am

Okay Here's a roll call. Let me know if I leave you out.

Melissa
Michelle
Kristin OK
Natalie
Amanda
Jessica
Kari?
Amanda
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Tue May 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Okay - so did we ever decide on our next book? Let's get this shin-dig rollin! bounce
Michelle
Double-O Seven
Double-O Seven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next